Badminton Wales Performance Pathway
The Badminton Wales Performance Pathway illustration below provides relevant information regarding the various tiers within the player pathway. Each tier within the Player Pathway has a description and guide to what players should be aiming to represent within their training and competitive environments.
The information provided and its descriptors have been created as a guide and a source of reference to players, parents, and coaches. Badminton Wales are working heavily with Partners and Members to establish the distinct tiers within our Performance Pathway.
The Player Pathway will provide structured development and opportunity for all players, ages and ability level from grass roots through to elite. The clearly defined tiers will enable Badminton Wales to provide clarity for players, parents and coaches.
Details and requirements for Satellite Centres can be found here and Regional Academies here.
- Age range 5 – 15.
- Various entry points into the sport.
- Providing structured opportunities in this introductory phase.
- Introduction to the basic fundamentals of Badminton.
- Age range 8 – 15.
- Badminton hours per week 2-5 (On court).
- Progressive development through a tiered structure.
- Competition – introduction to competitive play, Junior League, local Badminton Wales Bronze series tournaments.
- Introduction to Strength and Conditioning fundamentals and basic testing.
Regional Academies / Junior National Squad:
- Age range 10-15.
- Maintain Satellite Centre membership.
- Training hours per week 5-10 (On Court) in addition to Satellite Centre training Technical/tactical/physical and lifestyle management.
- Incremental improvement aligned with short/mid/long term goals.
- Tournament progression - Badminton Wales Silver/Gold events, Badminton England age group Bronze/Silver/Gold event & European Exposure.
- Academy target to progress to BW/HP – Gold Star standard Badminton England age group events.
BW High Performance / National Squad:
- Age range 16-21.
- Performance driven tournament program.
- Targeting of events BE Gold Star / European Champs / Senior BE Silver/Golds/BEC Future Series/International Series Events.
- Continued physical development and monitoring aligned with historical data.
- Continued tactical development via self analysis and of opponents (video).
- Expected hours of training per week 10-15 (On Court).
- Integration into GB Talent pathway.
- V02 Max test becomes an additional test.
- Develop senior International players representing Wales and GB.
- Age range 21+.
- Team GB Olympic/Paralympic Team.
- World Top 20.
Tokyo 2020 Para-Badminton Paralympics
Fast Appeals Procedure