CEO Update - 1st June 2020
Dear Badminton Wales Members,
I hope you are all safe and well and enjoying the beautiful Welsh weather.
On Friday the First Minister announced the changes to the restrictions in Wales that have come into effect from today - 1st June 2020.
Please follow the link for the changes - https://gov.wales/stay-local-to-keep-wales-safe
Whilst the easing of restrictions has not changed the position for Badminton in Wales we are continuing to work in collaboration with the Welsh Sports Sector and Welsh Government to map out a safe return to our sport. This will be shared once finalised.
Frequently asked questions regarding the changes - click here
Badminton in Wales therefore remains suspended in line with Welsh Government Regulations until further notice.
During lockdown the Badminton Wales Team have launched several exciting new programmes that are proving a big hit - Shuttle Time Cymru ‘Badminton at Home’ and ‘Couch to Court’. Please head over to the Shuttle Time Cymru Facebook page and download the programme to get started in the comfort of your own home/garden. See the full list of our upcoming programmes, projects and initiatives being rolled out over the coming months.
This week is Volunteer Week and the Badminton Wales Team would like to thank each and every one of our volunteers who has given their time to help and support Badminton Wales throughout the years. You are the heart of Badminton in Wales and without the time and dedication that you have given, BW certainly would not be able to run the many programmes that we do. We value and appreciate all that you do. Diolch yn fawr iawn i bawb.
As ever keeping active is so important for our physical and mental health, and Welsh sport has a big role to play in helping Wales be active. #BeActiveWales campaign is there to encourage activity and to enjoy the amazing benefits for both mental and physical health.
Please see the following external links that provide some excellent advice and guidance around maintaining your physical and mental well-being:
- Age Cymru has information about staying safe during the COVID-19 outbreak as well as on how to prevent loneliness during periods of self-isolation.
- The British Heart Foundation has some great links and resources for those looking for advice on how to stay healthy during periods of self-isolation.
- The Mental Health Foundation has advice for people concerned about how the COVID-19 outbreak and self-isolation may impact on their mental health.
- Mind has advice for people who might be worried about coronavirus (COVID-19) and how it could affect your life.
Club Solutions website continues to offer practical advice for clubs and is a great tool to support and guide clubs through the pandemic.
The next Welsh Government review (June 18th, 2020), will examine options for:
- Re-opening outdoors sites, including sports courts.
- Re-opening facilities for non-professional elite athletes to train safely.
The Badminton Wales Team are committed to ensuring Badminton in Wales emerges stronger from these unprecedented times.
Enjoy the weather and stay safe and well.
Kelly Aston MBE OLY